The printed catalogue can be ordered on www.soccochico.com
Every Meubles Meldem piece is made to order, edited in unlimited numbers, dated and signed. The production line is designed to allow furniture to be made quickly on demand to optimise costs and avoid waste by keeping inventory to a minimum. Everything is made locally in Apples and Lausanne by Meubles Meldem. Meubles Meldem wants to be paid fairly (see Pricing) and would also like the furniture to be sold at a price most people can afford. These objectives are achieved by reducing the construction time of the furniture, limiting the range of materials employed and using recycled materials wherever possible. We think the art world economy is a neo-liberal nightmare, and this project is Meubles Meldem’s way out.
Most materials are unprocessed and no varnishes have been applied. The pieces are therefore not suitable for outdoor use.
- Wood: All wood is FSC, except, of course, the driftwood.
- Iron: Bought in Apples through a local tinsmith.
- Paper: All paper is recycled from print shops and mail.
- Glue: Wood glue is used for wood (very ecological), starch glue is used for paper (very ecological), and plastic glue and hot glue are used for the trinkets (not ecological).
- Acrylic paint: Only used on paintings, primarily water-based. The vast majority of paints were found in waste centres.
- String: So far, all recycled from old stock found in the Meldem farm. It was initially used to tie vegetable crates.
- Safety glass: Used on the Little Desk and the Small Coffee Table. It comes from a local glass factory in Le Mont-sur-Lausanne.
- Inox: Solely used on the Dining Table. It comes from a local tinsmith in Renens.
- Diamond wire mesh: So far, all recycled from old stock found in the Meldem farm.
- Chicken wire mesh: So far, all recycled from old stock found in the Meldem farm.
- Nicotine chewing gums: They are all recycled.
- Plastics: Plastics used as a canvas for paintings are all recycled plastic bags and packaging. The coating used for the foam protection is certified Oeko-Tex 100 (Fake Leather and Reflex) and is 100% polyurethane.
- Phones and cables: Recycled.
- Paraffin: Recycled from old sculptures, so far. It will be bought new once the stock is exhausted.
- Foam: Recycled from old mattresses for all product developments. Unless requested otherwise, they will be bought new. All certified Oeko-Tex 100.
- Medication packaging: Recycled and do not contain medication.
- Mini liquor bottles: Recycled and can still contain a few drops of alcohol.
- Clockwork, end caps for chair legs and wire mesh protection: Bought from the Swiss internet.
All furniture is built with a solid and durable structure, but the surfaces are designed to age, sometimes fast: Steel will rust, wood will yellow, and paper and foam will slowly degrade. The warranty does not cover damages of this type. However, requested repairs and modifications can be undertaken and will be done at a reasonable price.
Recycled materials are used whenever possible. However, since the pieces are intended to be reproduced in unlimited numbers, some materials will have to be purchased new, wood and steel mainly, in the eventuality of Meubles Meldem’s commercial success.
If this happens, everything will be purchased within a 50-kilometre radius of Lausanne and travel will be kept to a minimum (exceptions: clockwork, end caps and mesh protection from Swiss internet).
All furniture is structurally sound and durable and made to last over time. Again, all surfaces will age over time but are easily repairable.
Fairtrade, biodegradable and non-chemical products are always preferred. For example, paint and glue are used as sparingly as possible for ecological reasons and –let’s not kid ourselves– financial reasons.
Meubles Meldem will confirm your orders in writing. You may only subsequently change the order with the written consent of Meubles Meldem. In case of a change in the order, a new delivery time must be set. Meubles Meldem may charge an additional fee for the work.
Delivery dates are always set as precisely as possible by Meubles Meldem. However, they are not binding on Meubles Meldem. If the deadlines cannot be met, Meubles Meldem will work with you to find a solution that suits your needs. Please note that cancellations or compensation claims are not permitted in such cases.
Except when stated, all furniture can be sent by mail for a cost to be specified at the time of order.
If you’re local to Lausanne or Apples, you can pick your order up in person at no additional cost. Apart from some exceptions (mainly clocks), Meubles Meldem will not send pieces overseas. If you are affected by this decision, please look for a local equivalent of Meubles Meldem. Packaging and shipping are charged at cost price. For large orders, special shipment is possible. Meubles Meldem is entitled to deliver unpackaged items at any time. The liability of Meubles Meldem ends at the time of delivery.
Meubles Meldem bases the cost of each piece on the price of its materials and its assembly time (typically 100.– per hour).
Design, development, admin and marketing are included in the price. Once you have placed your order, Meubles Meldem will confirm the price in writing. If any price-determining factors arise before shipping, such as changes in material or transport costs, Meubles Meldem reserves the right to pass those costs on to you.
All prices in this catalogue are in Swiss francs.
You are obliged to check the items upon receipt. Defects or complaints about the number of pieces must be reported to Meubles Meldem immediately in writing within eight days. Late complaints will not be considered.
Damages resulting from transport must be reported to the carrier immediately in writing. You will simultaneously inform Meubles Meldem of the steps taken.
Meubles Meldem grants a two-year warranty. This only applies to manufacturing defects, to the extent that the damage is not the result of abnormal use on your part. Any extension of the warranty is expressly excluded.
If you notify us in writing of defects following the above provisions, you shall be entitled to the repair or replacement of the defective parts (transport costs not included). Further claims on your part are expressly excluded. The drawings and descriptions of the items in brochures, price lists and catalogues are not binding on Meubles Meldem. Catalogues are not binding on Meubles Meldem with respect to the execution of the pieces. Meubles Meldem reserves the right to change the structure of the pieces, the construction methods and to make other minor changes at any time.
Unless otherwise agreed, invoices are paid in full when the order is placed.
Meubles Meldem is entitled to change its terms and conditions of sale and delivery at any time.
Only Swiss law is applicable. The place of jurisdiction is Lausanne. April 2023.
This project has received the support of Pro Helvetia, Ville de Lausanne and Canton de Vaud.
Website by Studio Harris Blondman